Health Benefits of Beets, Plus A Beet Borscht Recipe
These gorgeous red root veggies are packed full of health benefits, plus their sweet flavor goes wonderfully with other ingredients in this beet soup recipe!
Traditionally known for their dark red hue, these humble veggies come in all shades of gold, red, and white. Beets can be steamed, boiled, pickled, roasted, eaten raw in salads – or in smoothies. Of all the cooking methods, they are especially tasty when oven-roasted, which concentrates the sugar rather than leaching it into cooking liquid.
This often unappreciated veggie is full of fiber and potassium and is an fantastic source of folate — just a half cup of cooked beets provides 17% of the recommended daily folate intake — and, like all vegetables, contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Studies show that red pigment in beets could defend against growth of cancerous cells and might help decrease the inflammation linked to heart disease.
Health Benefits of Beets
• Beets are very low in calories, and contain zero cholesterol and small amount of fat. Its nutritional benefits come mostly from fiber, vitamins, minerals, and unique plant derived anti-oxidants.
•Raw beets are an excellent source of folates. Keep in mind that extensive cooking may significantly deplete its level in food. Folates are necessary for DNA synthesis within the cells. Folates can prevent neural tube defects in the baby.
• The beetroot is rich source of various phytochemical compounds that help lower homocysteine levels within the blood, which can be harmful to blood vessels, thus helping prevent coronary heart disease, stroke and vascular diseases.
• Beet roots are a good source of vitamin-C; however, its top greens are even better sources of this vitamin. The root is also rich source of B-complex vitamins, and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, and magnesium. It’s also a good of potassium.
• Even the leaves of raw beets have been eaten and useful and beneficial to one’s health. The top greens are an excellent source of carotenoids, flavonoid anti-oxidants, and vitamin A; contain these compounds several times more than that of in the roots.
• Here is something I bet you didn’t know: some nutritionists use beets and beet juice to test stomach acid levels. If you are eating a lot of beets or beet juice, and your pee turns pink, guess what? You have low stomach acid. If it’s clear, your acids are strong.
• Beets have a cleansing effect on the body. I can drink eat as much as I want of raw beet smoothies or beet soup, but some people may experience detoxifying symptoms, so just be aware.
Beet Borscht Soup Recipe
Borscht is a very popular vegetable soup made of beets is a traditionally loved dish in my home country, Poland, as well Russia, Germany and other Eastern European menus. There are cold and hot Borscht soups and each country varies some of the ingredients, but beets are the one common and main ingredient of this revered and hearty soup.
However, this is NOT your babcia’s (or Babushka’s) Borscht recipe!
I made it raw to save time and preserve nutrients, but you may choose to use cooked, or – even better – roasted beets. When using raw beets, it takes about 5 minutes to prepare this recipe – so don’t tell me you don’t have time to make this soup ;-).
There are so many different ways to make Borsht. You can juice your veggies or just blend as is. I find adding a little fat gives you a better feeling of fullness so I added an avocado. Avocados provide healthy fats and contain a good supply of protein. Plus they give the soup its delightful creaminess.
The color is so beautiful and brilliant. Beets are very good for you but high in sugar content, so rather than juicing the beets, I decided to blend them into a soup. This doesn’t change the total sugar content, but it flattens the blood sugar spike by retaining the natural fiber that slows down digestion of sugars.
For all my blending recipes I use Vitamix. If you don’t already own a VitaMix, I strongly encourage you to check out what this machine is capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. You may also want to read my post about the Best Blender.
I LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for almost 5 years and use it daily!
If you decide to purchase Vitamix – be sure to use Promotional Code 06-004554 to get free shipping.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
If you have a favorite recipe, why not submit it here in the comment section of this smoothie recipes blog for others to enjoy too!
I also welcome any comments, questions and suggestions. Thanks!